Friday, April 13, 2012

Spring Bunny Bento


I've been testing out my bento abilities lately. Today I made bento bunnies in a kale and strawberry garden!

I'm embarrassed to say these took me probably 15 to 20 minutes (yep, to make 2 tiny cheese sandwiches) but the results were quite adorably fabulous if I do say so!  Each box contains a cheese sandwich bunny, kale chips and strawberry flowers.

I used a cup to cut the bunny face out of the corner of a sandwich, the ears are merely the remaining strip of  sandwich folded and cut into 2 narrow pieces.  The eyes are cheese and olive, I felt pretty ingenious when I used both ends of a metal frosting tip to cut the circles!  The whiskers are precisely thin cut carrots in which I discovered I have a very unsteady hand.  The only actual bento-specific supply I used was the tiny triangle cutter for the bunny nose, but this could totally be freehanded meaning you could replicate this box with no special supplies . . . do it!

If you have yet to try kale chips, you are missing out!  Ever since I found pre-cut and cleaned kale at my local Walmart these have become an almost daily snack!  I just place a couple heaping handfuls of kale in a gallon Ziploc with a tiny swish of extra virgin olive oil and a couple pinches of garlic salt then shake shake shake and bake on a cookie sheet at 300 F for around 15-20 minutes!  There is something so satisfactory in seeing this picky little peep cram these dark green crunchies in her mouth :)


I'm linking up with Today's Creative Blog

1 comment:

  1. Hiya babe. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your Kale Chips on my blog yesterday. I would love it if you could check it out and grab my button :)

    http://mammymade.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/mint-stuff-ive-seen-16.html

    - Adele @ Mammy Made

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...